Port Augusta (Comox) Harbour Survey 1898

Port Augusta Hydrographic Map 1898                         (Click to Enlarge)

This is a chart of Port Augusta (Comox) harbour from survey conducted around 1898.  James Robb was the original pre-emptor of lands encompassing modern day downtown Comox.  This map shows the extent of land clearing undertaken by Mr. Robb opening the way for building and road construction.  By 1898 the wharf had been completed and buildings constructed such as the Elk and Lorne hotels, St. Peter’s Anglican Church, as well as a road to Courtenay (Comox Avenue), Balmoral Avenue to the naval rifle range on Goose Spit and Anderton Road.